Conduit is an online toolbar designing and developing website which helps in creating toolbar. But this toolbar has the potential to hijack the web browser so the result is that every time one tries to browse something on the web browser it may redirect the search to its own search engine. All the torrent users might be already facing this trouble. So here are certain tips to remove conduit search engine from Firefox, Chrome and Internet Explorer browsers.
Not only browsers but it hijacks even your computer or PC, we have steps to remove conduit from MAC or PC. There have even been cases where it affected the search bar, at the end of this article we provide detailed steps to remove conduit from MAC or PC and some advanced steps to remove conduit from search bar.
Many of the µtorrent users downloaded the µtorrent applications from the website of µtorrent. During installation process even if the user do not check the option of toolbar installation the toolbar could still be installed in the Firefox. Even after removing the toolbar the conduit search engine still remains active which redirects all the web searches to their own webpage. Here are some of the effective steps that can be used for completely removing the conduit search engine from one’s machine:
Method 1: Remove Conduit Search redirect from Firefox
1. The very first step is to uninstall the toolbar which can be done by going to tools>add-ons>extension option in Firefox.
2. Now to remove the conduit redirects type “about: config” on the address bar of the Firefox. All the Firefox’s list of preferences would be seen by that.
3. Type conduit on the top of the page in the filter output, and then sees the keyword which would be URL along with browser.search.default url.
4. Then right-click on keyword.URL line and after that select the reset option from the pop-up menu. This will restore the preferences to its default value.
5. With this the conduit would be completely removed from the Mozilla Firefox.
Method 2: Remove conduit toolbar along with its search redirections from Internet explorer:
• In this method the process of removing conduit from the internet explorer would be explained in details. The first step is to go to settings and then click on the internet option.
• In the general tab a small window will pop up where the home page tab can be changed either to user new tab or to default.
• Click on programs tab and then click on manage add-ons.
• Next step is to click on the toolbar and extensions which are located on the right side pane and after that disable all the conduit toolbar from the left side pane.
• Next step is to click on the option of search providers located at the right side pane and then right-click on the conduit customised web search from the right side pane and select the option of ‘Remove’.
• This will completely remove the conduit toolbar from the search engine.
Method 3: Remove conduit toolbar from the Google Chrome
• If the Google chrome is infected by this conduit search then the users must know that conduit search engine cannot be added on Google Chrome search.
• Google chrome will have a pop up message after sometime that shows that conduit extension cannot be added to Google chrome.
Previous versions of Google chrome has to be uninstalled with newer and safer versions of the Google chrome. These methods are very useful in completely removing this annoying conduit search engines from the web browser.
Method 4: Uninstall Conduit toolbar
Just like any other program conduit can also be uninstalled. This can be done by using add or delete programs from the control panel. Setting has to be changed and the search provider has to be removed carefully and completely. Serach.conduit.com removal instructions:
• Download suggested antimalware software and do a complete system scanning.
• This scanning will detect and remove this infection from the computer. Then the manual removal instructions can be followed for removing all the left over traces of the browser hijacker.
• Go to the start menu and select control panel> add/remove programs. The users of windows 7 or window vista can use control panel>uninstall a program.
• Windows 8 users can simply drag the mouse of their screen to extreme left and select search from the list and search for control panel.
• Or else at the bottom left hot corner one can right-click and select the option of control panel from there.
• In the uninstall program or add/remove program, scroll through the list of currently installed programs and remove search products by conduit, conduit toolbar or yontoo.
• One can look for all the conduit related applications and all of them can be uninstalled.
• The application can be simply selected and then click the remove button.
Method 5: Uninstall the conduit toolbar from your computer with Adw Cleaner
All the malicious files on your computer can be uninstalling with the help of Adw cleaners follow these steps:
• Download the Adw cleaner utility from this link
• Close all the open programs and internet browsers before starting the Adw cleaner.
• In the Adw cleaner click on the Scan button which will start the process of search of conduit malicious files that would be detected by the computer.
• To remove the malicious files that are been detected in the conduit toolbar, press the clear button which will clear all the files that are infected with conduit toolbar.
• Now the ADW cleaner will prompt to save any file or data that has been opened because after this the system would be rebooted by the Adw cleaner software.
• Once the reboot of the machine is over press the OK button and that’s it. The system would be free from conduit toolbar infection.
Tried everything, but still your PC or Browser (Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer) is hijacked and Conduit just refuses to go away, then here are some advanced steps. Not to worry, the instructions are very much detailed so even a computer novice can do this.
Conduit creates the trouble of browser hacking and the re-infection experienced by people is due to the un-installation through control panel. Removing it through control panel solves the issue from one browser but the malware remains in background and keys in computer registry still points to rewrite the newer executables. To remove the core keys of conduit follow the given below steps, which will help the browser and protect it from any kind of hijacking:
Open “Run”, type “Regedit” (Pic below)
Computers Registry will be opened by this; here is a Pic of the window below:
Without the 5 folders, two main entries can be seen, out of which 2nd and 3rd would be used, HKEY_CURRENT_USER and HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE. This will open two folders containing the malware behind the scene instruction, it is the place where programs are open and directed. Now the given below readings work universally for any malware in the world.
As the next step one has to start with 2nd folder which is “HKEY_CURRENT_USER”, now the folder can be opened to see all the folders inside.
In the folder look for the software folder, expand that and then open software in case of the infection in your computer. In the folder one can see conduit, in the C named folder which is located near the top. Check the image:
After seeing the list just remove conduit from the folder list.
In the registry entry delete the conduit “HKEY_CURRENT_USER/Software” folder, now the next step is to check the expanding folder, continue searching for Microsoft folder in the M named section. In the Microsoft folder navigate in Windows folder, located in the parent folder. In the windows folder look for the folder named “current version” and then look for “run” folder and inside that “run once” folder. In that one can see the applications that need to be start by the computer. Check the given below image:
In the picture two entries are for the legitimate program, in which conduit can be seen with the key name conduit. In conduit the data with example will be the starting path for the conduit malware. In the conduit or search conduit can be easily removed.
After the main directory which is “HKEY_CURRENT_USER” look for the “HKEY_LOCAL MACHINE” folder, and then follow the same steps like the above user directory. In the local machine one can look for the 3rd folder the similar way.
Now you navigate to Software> and then Look for Conduit.
Under local machine and inside software folder, its called “conduit” on the list, delete Conduit as shown in the above picture.
Okay now we just got to locate the same “Run” and “RunOnce” folders as we did before but this time we will stay under this new “LOCAL MACHINE” directory instead of being under CURRENT USER as before.
After deleting conduit on the list, move down to Microsoft folder again, expand, navigate to “Windows”, expand it, and look for “Currentversion” folder. Inside the CurrentVersion folder locate “Run” folder, open it and inside it find “Conduit” or any related conduit search protector entries as shown in the picture below:
Delete only the conduit, now your registry is free of main conduit folders, and free of re-writing on restart of the malware.
It is recommended to use these registry tips or else it will end up most likely re-writing on restart. Though these steps and screenshots are from a Windows XP machine, they remain the same even for Windows Vista, Windows 7 or Windows 8 as the directory structure will be the same! This surely will help someone who felt like none of the “uninstall” via control panel solutions worked.
TIP: use CTRL+F and look for the entire registry by using the term “Conduit” that will automatically give the navigation through folders. Some programs may use Conduit as hot spot shield and thus using LOCAL MACHINE and RUN folders are the simpler option.
Steps To Remove Conduit Search Engine from Google Chrome
Chrome users need to follow some separate steps like go to Settings> On start-up then click for the option of “new tab” and click the button of “set pages” and then look for conduit in the list and then delete it as shown in the image below:
Then go to the Settings>Manage Search Engines:
Search for Sweettunes or Conduit/Search on that list:
Open Run, and then Type Regedit:
In case of no Conduit keys, one can look for the next search term. Looking for native messaging will offer entry to Google folder inside the option of registry. Malicious entries can be seen in that folder.
In the above image the Malicious sub folder “nmhostct3311875”, is holding a key pointing to a DLL, which points to a conduit temp .exe.
Basically that is a registry key in HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE in the Google folder directory. This can offer Malware scans that can be checked in order to clean the Google. More than one directory holds Google and its subfolders and they also need to be checked.
The entire native messaging folder with various keys should be deleted. Given below is the 2nd directory with native messaging key HKEY_USERS in the place of HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE as mentioned above:
The last step is to look for TBHostupport that hi-jacks the window “rundll32” to rewrite conduit related temp files.
Inside the Run Folder delete the TBHostsupport key but do not delete the RUN folder. In the registry key one needs to look for any Proxy servers for the internet setting option.
In case some deleted folders need to be re-added take a screen shot of them. Back up the registry files by clicking File>Export and then save the file. In the registry look for Navigation bar which can be found after understanding the following steps: software>microsoft>windows>current version>Internet Settings
The main directory keeps changing according to browser and level of infections. Run antimalware after deleting the infected keys to remove the infections from Chrome. One has to carefully navigate through the native messaging folders in case one is new to registry options.
Firefox users can click on edit on prefs.js and look for the file for conduit, smartbar, or sweettunes.
Changes can be prevented from the About:config as it can have a “prefs.js” file permissions set to read only. But the message could still be shown and thus new installation of the program could solve the issue.
Any physically detected files can be removed with clearing the search in registry and left over folders in few directories can also be detected and removed.
By opening physical files and computer registry in infected malware it might appear clean and it rites with any new prompt that it gets from the infected browser.
In the task manager one can see an out of the norm rundll32.exe after the rebooting in case TBHostSupport still exists in the registry. Either one can check all the physical files by themselves or let antimalware do its work.
Rundll32 is a windows related file, so it can be run but prevent the TBHost Support from hijacking it with “Run” regedit key.
Personal care cannot be offered if more than one browser are infected and in spite of removing infection from one browser it still appears in others. Then only professionals can help.
Download the above step-by-step tutorial in PDF format on how to remove Conduit Search Engine from Firefox, Chrome & Internet Explorer. We also elaborate advanced methods with high-resolution screenshots to remove Conduit Search Engine and its remnants from the PC or Computer